Similar to any other testing that lies under Independent Verification and Validation, ETL also go through the same phase.
- Business and requirement understanding
- Test Estimation
- Test planning based on the inputs from test estimation and business requirement
- Designing test cases and test scenarios from all the available inputs
- Once all the test cases are ready and are approved, testing team proceed to perform pre-execution check and test data preparation for testing
- Lastly execution is performed till exit criteria are met
- Upon successful completion summary report is prepared and closure process is done
ETL or Data warehouse testing is categorized into four different engagements irrespective of technology or ETL tools used:
New Data Warehouse Testing – New Data Warehouse is built and verified from scratch. Data input is taken from customer requirements and different data sources and new data warehouse is build and verified with the help of ETL tools.
Migration Testing – In this type of project customer will have an existing Data Warehouse and ETL performing the job but they are looking to bag new tool in order to improve efficiency.
Change Request – In this type of project new data is added from different sources to an existing Data Warehouse. Also, there might be a condition where customer needs to change their existing business rule or they might integrate the new rule.
Report Testing – Report are the end result of any Data Warehouse and the basic propose for which Data Warehouse is build. Report must be tested by validating layout, data in the report and calculation.
Click on the links to know more about Tek Classes ETL Testing Training