Hadoop is a popular Java-based programming framework that helps in storing and processing big data in a distributed environment among different clusters of computers using ordinary programming Hadoop. Hadoop is part of the Apache Project sponsored by Apache Software Foundation. Hadoop as an open source framework allows storing and processing of big data in a distributed environment across clusters of computers by using simple programming models. The genesis or origin of Hadoop came from Google File System paper published in 2003 leading to starting of a project known as Apache Nutch Project with the release of first Hadoop 0.1.0 way back in April 2006.
Advantages of Hadoop
Over these ten years, Hadoop with an icon of cute toy elephant emerged as a popular open source project with the latest version being Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 released during January 2016. Organizations across the globe such as Google, Facebook are now using Hadoop to store and manage their huge data sets. The major advantages of Hadoop includes the following aspects –
- Scalable– Hadoop is highly scalable storage platform as it is capable of storing and distributing very large sets of data sets across hundreds of inexpensive servers operating in a parallel system.
- Cost effective– Hadoop is a cost effective way storage solution for businesses with huge data sets as Hadoop is designed as a scale-out architecture that can affordably store all of a company’s data for later use. Hadoop offers computing and storage capabilities that is cheap in terms of terabytes storage.
- Tolerance –One of the key advantages of Hadoop is its fault tolerance. For instance, when data is sent to an individual node then that data is also replicated to other nodes in the cluster that mean that in a case of failure there is another copy of data set available for use.
Responsibilities of Hadoop Administrator-
The increased adoption of Hadoop by organizations for their enterprise IT solutions has resulted in the requirement of Hadoop Administrators who are experts in taking care of the large Hadoop Clusters for implementation of Hadoop in a production environment. Hadoop Administrators also called, as Systems Administrator is mainly responsible for setting up Hadoop Clusters requiring superb knowledge of Hadoop architecture and implementation of Hadoop principles. The other responsibilities of Hadoop administrator or admin includes-
- Hadoop Administrator is responsible for implementation and ongoing administrator of Hadoop infrastructure.
- Hadoop admin is required for cluster maintenance as well as creation and removal of nodes using tools.
- Managing and reviewing Hadoop log files.
- The Hadoop Admin is also required to screen Hadoop cluster connectivity and security.
- Hadoop admin is also required to work closely with infrastructure, network, database, business intelligence and application teams to ensure smooth business running.
- Hadoop admin is responsible for working with data delivery teams to set up new Hadoop users such as setting up Linux users, setting up of Kerberos principles.
These are the main responsibilities of Hadoop Administrator for successful implementation of Hadoop in organizations.
Tek Classes provide Hadoop Administration Training in Bangalore for beginners & experienced for more information & free demo contact us.